Collective environmental impact from remote workers in the U.S. saves $1.5 billion a year
BOULDER, Colo. (PRWEB) April 16, 2018
In recognition of Earth Day on Sunday, April 22, FlexJobs is highlighting the positive impact and savings remote work has on the environment. Americans have lowered their energy consumption significantly in recent years, largely because of an increase in working from home. Remote work creates more environmentally sustainable workplaces by reducing congestion, lowering fuel consumption, minimizing construction, lessening pollution emissions, reducing the strain on transportation systems, and improving air quality.
According to findings from FlexJobs and Global Workplace Analytics’ State of Telecommuting Report, the collective environmental and community impact from the current telecommuting population of 3.9 million telecommuters in the U.S. saves $1.5 billion a year. Savings would total $24 billion a year if the practice expanded to include half-time telecommuting among those with compatible jobs (56% of employees) and a desire to work from home (85% of employees).
“Not only is FlexJobs committed to remote work as a way of making people’s lives better, but we also want to further the benefits between remote work and the environment, which is clearly seen in a number of direct and indirect ways,” said Sara Sutton Fell, Founder and CEO of FlexJobs. “Remote work keeps millions of people from commuting to and from work, and it also lowers companies overhead and drastically reduces their overall carbon footprint by reducing office space and office waste. As more companies, organizations, and government agencies adopt remote work as a smart business practice, we will continue to experience positive benefits for the environment,” Sutton Fell concluded.
Annual Environmental Savings from Current U.S. Remote Worker Population:
- Vehicle miles not traveled: 7.8 billion
- Vehicle trips avoided: 529.8 million
- Tons of greenhouse gases avoided (EPA Method): 3 million
- GHG equivalent of cars off the road: 617,000
- Reduced traffic accident costs: $498 million
- Oil savings ($50/barrel): $980 million
Remote work also offers job opportunities in environmentally related career fields and with green companies. Biology Instructor, Civil Environmental Engineer, Energy Analyst, and Environmental Health Technical Specialist are examples of active job listings for remote green jobs.
Below FlexJobs has also highlighted 12 green companies that are currently hiring for flexible jobs, perfect for the environmentally conscious job seeker.
1. 350.org – a nonprofit organization founded in 2007, now known as one of the nation’s highest-profile climate organizations.2. Cloud to Street – helps vulnerable communities prepare for potential flood events by offering near real-time flood modeling and mapping.3. Ecobee – a fast-growing developer and manufacturer of smart devices for residential and commercial spaces.4. Environmental Resources Management – ERM – a consulting company which provides services related to the environmental, health and safety, risk, and social issues.5. Global Catholic Climate Movement – a collaboration of 400 Catholic organizations and leaders throughout the world who share a dedication to a sustainable climate future.6. International Bird Rescue – IBR – rescues pelicans, gulls, herons, shorebirds and a range of other aquatic birds that are injured in oil spills around the globe.7. Mothers Out Front – a nonprofit organization comprised of mothers, grandmothers, and caregivers committed to addressing climate change for the health of future generations.8. New York Botanical Garden – a National Historical Landmark that provides educational programs and exhibitions for visitors of all ages.9. Rachel’s Network – a nonprofit community of environment-focused women whose efforts are aimed at enabling a healthy, thriving world.10. Rainforest Action Network – an environmental and human rights organization dedicated to the health and preservation of global forests.11. Sunrun – an energy company with a mission to “create a planet run by the sun.” It is the largest dedicated residential solar provider in the United States.12. Stand.earth – dedicated to preserving forests, developing sustainable communities, and supporting clean energy initiatives throughout the United States and Canada.
For more information please visit https://www.flexjobs.com/blog/post/remote-work-and-the-environment-data-companies-hiring/ or contact Kathy Gardner at email@example.com.
FlexJobs is committed to helping people find a better way to work. As the leading online service for professionals seeking remote, flexible schedule, part-time, and freelance jobs, FlexJobs offers opportunities in over 50 career categories, ranging from entry-level to executive and freelance to full-time. FlexJobs also sets itself apart by providing job seekers with a better, safer, and more efficient way to find professional and legitimate flexible jobs. Having helped over three million people in their job searches, FlexJobs has appeared in CNN, CNBC, TIME, Forbes, The Wall Street Journal, Fast Company, and hundreds of other trusted media outlets. To further assist people in bettering their lives through flexible and remote work, FlexJobs’ Founder & CEO Sara Sutton Fell has also launched two additional partner sites, Remote.co and 1 Million for Work Flexibility, to help provide education and awareness about the viability and benefits of remote working and work flexibility. Sutton Fell is also the creator of The TRaD* Works Forum (*Telecommuting, Remote, & Distributed), dedicated to helping companies leverage the benefits of telecommuting, remote and distributed teams.
For the original version on PRWeb visit: http://www.prweb.com/releases/2018/04/prweb15411831.htm
This article was originally distributed via PRWeb. PRWeb, WorldNow and this Site make no warranties or representations in connection therewith.
Information contained on this page is provided by an independent third-party content provider. Frankly and this Site make no warranties or representations in connection therewith. If you are affiliated with this page and have questions or removal requests please contact firstname.lastname@example.org